“To truly design is to ask what can be removed, what can be simplified, without negatively affecting the end result. In challenging ourselves with a seven-batten skeleton, we pushed ourselves to create something extraordinary. We are proud to introduce the lightest, fastest, most efficient LW slalom sail ever.”
– Dan Kaseler
A Storm is Born
At Avanti we set out to answer a simple, yet elusive question. Is it physically possible to build a lighter, easier to use slalom sail capable of performing at the World Cup level? Is the relationship of ease-of-use to performance truly a zero sum game? What happens if you dig deeper… try harder… develop further?
The answer is a product that only Avanti could deliver. Introducing something truly special.
The Lightest Slalom
Sail Ever Made
With three cams, and seven battens, this unique performer will shattered your expectations and blur the lines of traditional freerace and race markets. Based on the highly-developed mold shapes of the Avanti M5 Machine, the new Tempest shares many performance characteristics with its renowned brother. In distilling the design and limiting the batten count, not only was weight saved, but rotation and acceleration are unmatched. This sail has been specially designed for light weight Slalom sailors and the pro/am segment. With a slightly narrower sock and a tighter leech- the result is a truly efficient slalom sail.
How fast is it? Let us be clear. Registering this sail with the PWA was not an accident. Give one a test, and get caught up in the storm.
– ARC Cams. The Arc Cam’s defining attribute is an extra curved sidewall which perfectly matches aerodynamic requirements at the sails’ leading edge. These well-designed cams add stability and promote smooth rotation coming out of tacks and gybes.
– No Center-Seam Sock Design. A seamless sock center provides the perfect aerodynamic entry.
– Increased shaping along the sock sew down line eliminate leeward side hardspots where sock meets sailbody.
Performance & Durability
– Neoprene Boom Opening. Extra-thin and stretch, with a floating access zipper for easy rigging.
– 3D Shaping. A more blunt, draft-forward leading edge delivers forgiveness over large angles of attack, giving rider a fast wide sailing groove, especially beneficial in difficult sea states and gusty conditions.
– A tighter leech design ensures higher performance in the medium light to mid strong wind curves
– Ultra Lightweight. Feather Weight Construction puts this sails weight 15-20% under industry standard.
– Updated Fiber Map. HotSpot clew to luff trajectories, and more fiber on the head to tack load line – keep shape locked and control twist, especially up high.
Performance & Durability
– High Load Seams Adhesive under key seams eliminate thread combing and typical luff section creep.
– Spectra Webbing & Batten Looplets. Unbelievably low stretch Spectra webbing reduces energy loss and unwanted stretch at headcap, while Spectra batten looplets reduce batten tension migration.
– Warlord Nylatron Tack Pulley. Nylatron tack pulley wheels that are 40% lighter than a stainless steel equivalent reduce friction for easier down-hauling. Design is optimized for use in combination with Formuline Spectra downhaul rope.
Rock Solid Skeleton
– Rainbow Batten Trajectories. Rainbow Batten Trajectories minimize pocket stretch and ensure rigged symmetry.
– Anti-Abrasion Silicon Bumpers, U-Channel & PVC X-Batten Strips prevent unnecessary wear.
– MicroLight Batten Tensioners provide balanced loading and even skin tension.
– PRO Membrane Matrix, our lightest competition oriented layup.
– Black and Gold Twaron fiber ensure sails that are super light, low-stretch, and impact resistant.
– Helix Leech Plys minimize cyclical flexing along a given line and extend longevity and toughness of leech.
– Teijin 8083 luff sleeve material gives excellent durability and repels water.
– Kevlar Reinforced Fairings give maximum durability against abrasion.